FreeBSD 10.3 released
Thursday, April 07 2016 @ 12:58 CEST
Contributed by: tingo
On April 4th, 2016 FreeBSD 10.3 was released.
From the release announcement: "The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team is pleased to announce the availability of FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE. This is the third release of the stable/10 branch, which improves on the stability of FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE and introduces some new features."
Some of them:
and more. See Release Notes, Errata.
- The UEFI boot loader received several improvements: It now follows /boot/config and /boot.config files, multi-device boot support works and command line arguments are parsed. Additionally, its framebuffer driver has been enhanced with GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) and UGA (Universal Graphics Adapter) handling, allowing to set the current graphics mode on systems using one of these methods. Moreover, ZFS boot capability has been added to the UEFI boot loader, including support for multiple ZFS Boot Environments (BEs), e. g. those provided by sysutils/beadm.
- The Linux® compatibility layer has been substantially improved and now is capable of running 64-bit applications on amd64 (x86_64), 1:1 threading, VDSO and subset of the epoll(7) family sufficient for the majority of programs.
- The em(4) and igb(4) drivers have been updated to version 7.6.1 and 2.5.3 respectively. Among others, this brings support for i219/i219(2)/i219(3) hardware found with Intel® Skylake generation and newer chipsets.
- The mkimg(1) utility has been updated to support NTFS file systems in both GPT and MBR partitioning schemes.
- Xorg-Server has been updated to version 1.17.4.
(first seen on OSnews)